10 Reasons We Like the Tape Measure Feature on the ESP
First check it out—it is so easy to use and read.
The tape measure icon is found in the main tool bar across the top.
When you click on the tape measure you will see the next screen where you can begin to use the measuring tape feature.
When you click on the set start button, the set start button changes into a stop button and all the numbers clear and start at 0. The tape measure is reading the needle location, so put the needle where you want to start measuring from. When you get to the final distance just click on the stop button and the measurements will stay on the screen. To clear the measurements just click on the start button again and it will be ready to measure again.
1. The accuracy of the measurement is .01(hundredths) therefore if you are measuring pattern placement you can get a more precision measurement than a standard tape measure which would be measured in 8th of an inch increments.
2. Easy to use. Click, roll, and click.
3. Features a diagonal measurement. A needed feature for borders.
4. You can measure the last space at the bottom of your quilt as the pins roll around for perfect panto placement. When the pins roll around measure and divide the space by the row height and spacing to see how you can manage the last couple of rows and their sizing. This way you will not end up with half a row of design.
5. Finding the center of a block. Take 2 measurements from opposite corners (in an X shape to find the exact center) —works even if the block is not cut and pieced exactly correct.
6. Can be used with the channel lock on for exact quilt width measurement use pattern view to get out of tape measure feature
7. Creating block areas for whole cloth. If there is no clock area then you can create on by measuring and placing chalk marks on the corner points
8. Measuring space between laser light pantograph rows. As a rule of thumb the standard measurement between pantograph rows is ¾ of an inch.
9. Checking and double checking detailed placement of pattern
10. Side border repeats and placement. Once you have the measurement of the repeat on the first or top border you can then create boxes down the side of the border and place on repeat in there at a time. No need to rotate your quilt for borders once you learn to use the tape measure repeat placement.
How do I get the latest updates for the Shirley Stitcher or the Quilt Magician?
If you’re looking to get the latest software updates for your Shirley Stitcher or Quilt Magician, here are some helpful tips.
First you should check to see which version you are running on your computerized system. Write it down so you can refer to it if you need to.
To find out which version you have:
- Click on the Home Button
- Click on the Set up Button
- Click on the System Info Button
The information screen should look similar to the following picture:
The latest updates for the Shirley Stitcher or the Quilt Magician will be on two websites.
www.Quilt-EZ.com and www.TinLizzie18.com
You will need a USB stick to transfer the update to your computerized quilting system from the downloaded file on your computer. The smaller the memory on the USB sticks the better. The systems that automatically search (on the newest versions) don’t have to search so long to find the update if you have a small stick. You should also have no other update on the stick so that you cannot accidentally get the wrong update selected. If you have other things on the USB stick like digitized patterns or files that would be ok but you should copy and paste the new update into the top register of the stick so it can be found easily. Try not to drag files for these computerized quilting systems, just copy and paste. I am not sure why but the copy and paste selection for files has a higher success rate than the drag and drop option.
The newest versions of Quilt Magician actually search the stick for the update and prompts will appear on your screen that will lead you through the process.
The Shirley Stitcher versions do not always have the auto search programs on them so you will have to import the update by:
- Clicking on the Home Button
- Click on the Set Up Button
- Click on the Update Button
- Follow the prompts.
For those of you that have the Shirley Stitchers you will find more information on the www.quilt-ez.com website. I believe the top update for the Shirley Stitchers is 3.0.6
Actually finding the file you need seems to be the most confusing for customers so let me try to help you find the updates for the ESP first.
Let’s go to the www.TinLizzie18.com site.
- Click on Service and Support
- Click on Software Updates
You have 4 choices there.
As of today, the screen reads:
1. Quilt Magician Motor box V4MC 413
This is to update the chip on the motor box only on the Quilt Magician. Look and see what your MC number is and if it is lower than this one you can update.
2. Tinlizzie18 ESP—most likely this is the one you want.
Note: Even though this says TinLizzie 18 ESP it works for the TinLizzie (Ansley) 26 ESP also.
Another Note: If your ESP is lower than a 4.55 then you should download the 4.55 first and update to that one before you download the 4.7.3 and upload that one to your computer system The 4.55 update is located within the instructions when you go to download the 4.7.3 on the www.TinLizzie18.com website.
The newest update offered on the TinLizzie 18.com website right now is the 4.7.3
- Click on the 4.7.3 ‘software box’
- Click on the download
- Copy the downloaded file to your USB stick
- Insert the USB stick into the touch screen
You can either wait for the computer to recognize the files or you can:
- Click on the Home Button
- Click on Set Up
- Click on Update
- Follow the prompts
3. Recalibrate Your Quilt Magician- this would be unusual to have to do this-Rare Case
You would normally have been directed to this recalibrate your Quilt Magician from tech support as this is not something that you would decide to do on your own as an update, this is not an update. This is to use to rebuild your basic screens when they are so far off that you cannot reach or work from the buttons that are provided on the normal screens.
The directions that are provided on the 4.0 Screen Recalibration work great so if you are directed by a tech to use this recalibrate then they will most likely still be on the phone with you throughout this process.
4. Update 4.6.2
The 4.6.2 was the update added to the ESP machines so that the newly added back handle bars and small mode screen in the back could talk to the machine and the screen would read correctly.
Now if you are going to the www.Quilt-EZ.com website here are the steps to finding what you want to update.
- Click on Resources
- Click on Customer Support
- Click on Updates and Downloads
Hopefully this has been helpful to those of you wishing to make the upgrades! Happy quilting!
Sewing Screens for the ESP Long Arms
Here’s a quick overview of all of the great features of the TinLizzie18 ESP long arm quilting machines… screen by screen.
Ready to Sew
Example of System Information